Search This Blog

Wednesday 8 February 2012

Crowbar and OpenStack Pt Deux

As a follow up to part 1 which left me with an 'installed' environment but no networking I thought I should post a follow up.

Since I last messed around a new version of crowbar (1.2) had been released so that was used.  A nice addition is rather than research/guess the OpenStack barclamp install order they are now nicely arranged on the Crowbar admin panel.

I also came to the conclusion that my networking 'issues' were a result of both me trying to install on vSphere, which has no support for native VLAN's and by complicating things by trying to shoe horn the networking into my corp range.

So I build a little lab which consisted of anything not nailed to a desk, I could find lying around, or that no-body would notice missing.


Switch - vlans created with SVI ports as needed for default gateways and all ports 802.1q to the nodes.

Crowbar install went fine using Pt1 to fill in the missing details.

The Swift install failed until I added some more storage (those cutting edge USB disks on top) and restarted the Crowbar install from scratch.

My first attempt at building a instance failed.  The instance remained in status of 'building'.

To debug

Use the Nova console to check which node the image has been deployed to and then grep the local /var/log/nova/nova-compute.log for ERROR.

2012-01-13 02:52:59,933 ERROR nova.compute.manager [-] Instance '5' failed to spawn. Is virtualization enabled in the BIOS? Details: internal error no supported architecture for os type 'hvm'

This is a result of the crappy hardware I'm using so I changed the nova barclamp to 'qemu' and bingo,   deployed instance - well, sometimes.  It seems pretty hit and miss, which I can't yet trace.  I suspect I could still be suffering from the Heath Robinson lab I've put together.  Pt.3 :)


Some useful bits I picked up and am keeping here for the moment

nova uid and password : admin / crowbar

Deployed nova/images instance path - on nodes :
  /var/lib/libvirt

sudo nova-manage service list

mysql -u<user> -p<password>

Log entries of instance deploy and destroy.

2012-01-13 09:02:57,736 INFO nova.virt.libvirt_conn [-] instance instance-00000007: deleting instance files /var/lib/nova/instances/instance-00000007

2012-01-13 09:02:58,462 INFO nova.virt.libvirt_conn [-] Instance instance-00000007 destroyed successfully.

2012-01-13 09:07:29,306 INFO nova.virt.libvirt_conn [-] Instance instance-00000009 spawned successfully.

No comments:

Post a Comment