Search This Blog

Monday 10 December 2012

Cleaning up BackTrack/Ubuntu NIC's

Copying BackTrack virtual box images around and the network wouldn't start.  I'm Recording the commands here as its not something I do everyday and I will have the same issue again .. Same process would work for Ubuntu.

root@bt:~# ifconfig eth0 up
eth0: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device

root@bt:~# lspci
Will list all the hardware devices.  Confirm the Ethernet controller is loaded.

root@bt:~# ifconfig -a
Will list all the interfaces known to the system regardless if they are 'UP'.  In my case the card was ETH4.

root@bt:~# ifconfig eth4 up
Worked.

I wanted to clean this up as ETH0-3 are all a result of switching machines and MAC address.

nano /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules

remove the redundant config and switch your NIC to ETH0

No comments:

Post a Comment