Search This Blog

Tuesday 16 February 2010

SIP Phone on Cisco Call Manager


I've been trying to get a SIP phone working with Cisco Call Manger on/off for probably the past year.  Its always been a niggling task that I'd wanted to do but never really found the time, nor inclination.

I also found a real lack of information ..  My recent foray into iPhone led me back down the SIP path so with a few days to play and some back door help from an excellent guy at Touchbase - Darren Parkinson I have managed to get a Softphone working.  Still working on the iPhone.

Darren pointed me in the direction of a blog at :


This got me 99% of the way, but missed a single crucial setting - probably a difference in CCM7 which the blogger used and my CCM6.  So for prosperities sake and mine when I forget how to do this again I have reproduced the blog with the additional step .. 

Note.  There are other parts of the CCM config which has SIP  configs, eg SIP Route Pattern, SIP Real, SIP Domain .. From what I can tell these are all used for SIP trunks and not for end points. 

**************************************************************************************************
First, I just wanted to add some 3rd party SIP phones to CUCM to start testing feature behaviors.  X-Lite seemed like a reasonable choice as it was free and apparently pretty popular.  Second,  the resources I have found on-line, including CouterPath's own write up (which is a bit dated) and an article on Cisco's "community" collaboration site, were just too light on details.  The examples would have things like this:

Account Setup
Display Name: 1234
User Name: 1234
Authorized User Name: 1234

I ask you, what am I supposed to do with that if I try to deploy this application in the real world?  Now, I am not saying that I am going to cover all bases adequately in this example.  Every one of us has a slightly different environment that we operate in.  But, I hope to provide some examples to give you a better feel for how to add 3rd Party SIP endpoints to the CUCM.  I like X-Lite, so I am using it as the example.

Versions and other information.
For my testing I used CUCM 7.1.3.31900-1 (that is 7.1(3b)SU1 for the uninitiated).  The X-Lite version is 3.0.  From looking at some of the examples on line (dating back to CUCM 5.0), the basic configuration we are going to discuss is pretty applicable to all CUCM appliance models.  I suspect that procedures for 6.0 to 7.1 would be near identical.

It all starts with a download.
First, you will need to download the X-Lite application here.  The install is pretty straight forward and relatively quick.

Configure CUCM
I like to get the station configured in CUCM before I start playing around with the client.  In CUCM you will need to create a SIP device and a user object.  You will need to make some associations between the two and perform some other ancillary activities in preparation.
Add a SIP Security Profile
I suppose you could consider this an optional step if you don't mind SIP endpoints just registering to your CUCM cluster without a password.  I don't, so we are going to create a SIP security profile that forces the use of Digest Authentication.  If you go with the standard SIP security profile, digest authentication is not used.  This means that a client can connect by simply providing the extension number and a user ID.
NOTE: In the X-Lite configuration examples I have seen, it is suggested that you specify the password
you assigned to the user in CUCM when you configure the Account Settings in X-Lite.  This is incorrect.
Connect to your CUCM server (http://mycucm/ccmadmin) and go to System->Security Profile->Phone Security Profile.  Search for profiles that contain the string "third-party" and copy the profile named "Third-party SIP Device (Basic) - Standard SIP Non-Secure Profile".  Configure the new profile as follows:
Save your settings.
Add the User
Go to User Management->End User.  You can add a new user or use an existing user.  You can also use a user that was replicated from LDAP using the DirSync service.  The information you need to configure (values shown are used in our example):
  • User ID: bbellsip
  • Password: (this is not used by X-Lite, but you should always have one)
  • PIN: (this is not used by X-Lite, but ... you get the idea)
  • Last Name: Bell
  • First Name: Bill
  • Digest Credentials: *******  (this is used by X-Lite!)
Click on Save.  We will come back to the user object in a moment.

Add the SIP Phone
Go to Device->Phone.  Click on Add and select "Third-Party SIP Device (Basic)".  At a minimum, you should configure the following settings (values shown are used in our example):
  • MAC Address:  DEADBEEF0000 (set it to something unique, it doesn't matter to X-Lite)
  • Description:  Bill Bell X-Lite (set it to something meaningful to you, it doesn't matter to X-Lite)
  • Device Pool:  HQ_User-SoftPhone_CSS (You should use a device pool that makes sense in your environment. I like to stick my softphones in a separate bucket.  You will want to make sure that if you are using regions, to keep everything G.711.  The free X-Lite doesn't support G.729 or other CODEC.  Also, a Cisco tidbit - the default inter-region CODEC is G.729)
  • Calling Search Space: HQ_User-Std_CSS (this should be a CSS that fits into your dial plan, just like a standard Cisco SCCP station)
  • Device Security Profile: Third-party SIP Device (Basic) - Digest Required
  • Owner User ID: bbellsip
  • Digest User: bbellsip *
* This is the missing step from the originial blog

Other phone parameters can use the default settings.  I didn't test Device Mobility yet.  I played with Presence subscriptions with marginal success (later blog maybe).  I also tested Trusted Relay Point (TRP) and it worked as it should (TRP will be a topic in a later blog).
Click on Save.  After saving the phone, you can add an extension.  Add the extension as you normally would.  The bare minimum settings I used for testing:
  • Directory Number: 2025550208  (I use 10d extensions)
  • Partition: CL_DN-1_PT (place the DN in your "phones" partition)
  • CSS: Apply line level CSS per your design
  • Voicemail Profile: Use the VM profile that you normally would
  • Call Forwarding: Configure Call Forwarding as you would normally, for example CFNA and CFB to voicemail
  • Display and Alerting:  Configure these as you would like
Click on Save.

Edit User Object
Now go back to the user you are assigning this soft phone to (e.g. bbellsip).  Edit the user object.  Go to Device Associations and associate the device you just created.
Click on Save.
Configure X-Lite
Launch the X-Lite application.  You may get prompted for software updates, etc.  After the application loads, you will have a screen similar to the following:

Right click on the "LCD Screen" and choose Account Settings.  Click on Add to create a new SIP account.  Go to the "Account" tab and configure as follows:
The figure above gives you some guidance on what should be configured in each field and what needs to match CUCM configuration fields.  It should be noted that you can use DNS names in the Domain field.  I did some testing with SRV records.  I found that if you have an SRV record for SIP (e.g. _sip._udp.netcraftsmen.net) that is configured with the correct UDP port (5060), the X-Lite client will query your DNS domain for the SRV record and register. 
Click on OK.  If you setup everything correctly, you should see a screen similar to the following:



UPDATE for X-Lite 4.7.1



No comments:

Post a Comment